– 2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 or 5 large cloves)
– 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
– 2 (14- to 15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– Pinch of sugar
– 1 (1 1/2-pound) piece tuna, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
– Cook garlic in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Add spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes (including juice), salt, and sugar and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until broken down, 20 to 25 minutes.
– Season tuna with salt and pepper and arrange in 1 layer on top of sauce. Cook, covered, 2 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, until top of fish is no longer red, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and spoon sauce on top.