– 4 (5-ounce) center-cut salmon fillets (about 1-inch-thick), skin on or off
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Serving suggestions: honey mustard, horseradish mashed potatoes, mesclun greens
– Bring the salmon to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking.
– Warm a large nonstick skillet with oil over medium-low heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Raise the heat to medium-high. Place the salmon, skin-side up in the pan. Cook until golden brown on 1 side, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish over with a spatula, and cook until it feels firm to the touch and the skin is crisp if desired, about 3 minutes more.
– The skin can be served or removed easily with a knife or spoon.
– Transfer to a plate and serve as desired.