For the sushi
– 150g sushi rice, rinsed thoroughly and drained
– 225ml water
– pinch salt
– 25g sugar
– 50ml rice wine vinegar
– 4 sheets dried nori
– 50-75g wasabi paste, plus extra to serve
– 200g best-quality salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into strips 0.5cm thick
– ½ cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, cut into thin batons
– ½ red pepper, seeds removed, cut into thin batons
For the dipping sauce
– 100ml rice vinegar
– 75g sugar
– 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
– soy sauce
– pickled ginger
– For the sushi, place the rice in a pan with the water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for five minutes, then take off the heat, leave covered and allow to cool.
– When the rice is cool, place it into a bowl, season with a pinch of salt and add the sugar and vinegar. Mix well.
– Lay out the nori sheets on a work surface and spread a little of the wasabi paste onto each sheet. Place a line of the rice mixture about 2.5cm/1in wide towards the bottom edge of each sheet.
– Divide the salmon strips and cucumber and red pepper batons among the nori sheets and roll up tightly. Place into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes, then cut into 5cm/2in long pieces.
– For the dipping sauce, heat the vinegar, sugar and chilli in a pan until the sugar dissolves.
– To serve, place the sushi rolls onto a large serving plate with a bowl of the dipping sauce, extra wasabi paste, soy sauce and pickled ginger.